External wall insulation

Old 06-16-08, 11:02 PM
External wall insulation

I have a basic question about wall insulation buried in a lengthy post which is unanswered so far. So here it is:

To be effective, does the whole of the house need to be insulated?

My cellulose installer says that he's not able to insulate the front of our house (lounge, diner, kitchen), but could do back (bedrooms, toilet, bathroom) - he says it will still make a noticeable difference even though only half the house will be insulated. Would appreciate thoughts/experience on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-08, 05:07 AM
I've always worked under the assumption that any little bit you can do helps. Obviously it won't be as effective as insulating the whole house.

It strikes me as odd that he can't insulate the areas you mentioned. What's the reason?

Old 06-17-08, 12:02 PM
thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
It strikes me as odd that he can't insulate the areas you mentioned. What's the reason?
the front section is clad with natural stone - he says that a vapor barrier would be needed to insulate those cavities, so the internal walls would need to come off

Old 06-17-08, 05:23 PM
Did he tell you why the vapor barrier is necessary? If there's not one there now, I'm not sure why adding insulation would change that. I surely don't know everything about insulation so hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

I can see why he would need to blow in from the inside though. You could always check to see if a product called AirKrete is available in your area. They can install that between mortar joints.

Old 06-20-08, 10:53 PM
thanks for the link - no airkrete in NZ unfortunately...... we're quite behind on all this insulation stuff, though...
I posted another thread on the vapor barrier issue, since this is the obstacle to getting my whole place insulated right now.