Energy efficient

Old 06-17-08, 08:25 PM
Energy efficient

I just got my electricity bill and it was $560. We just bought this house and there is no way that I can afford that. I'm trying to find out what I need to do?

It is a 2300 sq ft home with a single A/C unit. Upstairs gets a lot hotter than the downstairs. A friend has a home about the same square footage and we ended up using 1,200 kw more? I do not have a fan on the roof, and I just redid the siding and had suffit put up around the edge of the home.

I don't know if my unit is just overworking for the size of the home. If I need a radiant barrier? I know heat rises, but my friends house seems to cool the house evenly and mine gets really hot upstairs. Well any help would be greatly appreciated. THanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-08, 06:17 AM
So many things could add to this. Heat in the attic could contribute to higher electric usage. Adding a fan would be helpful or at a minimum at a ridge vent. Have you had your HVAC system serviced? Servicing this could help if unit is not running at top performance. A unit that just serves the 2nd floor and one for the 1st floor are cheaper to run than one unit that serves both.

Old 06-18-08, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Is this a new home?

Don't forget to look for things like leaky ductwork up in that attic. Neighbor had exact same home, exact same unit, 2 people living in house. His bills were avg $200 higher than mine. Found that his ducts were so badly done he was blowing tons of cold/heated air into his attic.

Also, electric or gas appliances, hot water heater, etc? CFL's in place of regular bulbs?

Its not all about the A/C, though thats a large amount during the summer.

Old 06-18-08, 11:09 AM
The home was built in 78 (as was my friends). I'll check the attic for any duct leaks, thanks. It does seem that my A/C is constantly going. Is a radiant barrier something I should look into? And is there a way to see if I need a bigger unit?

Old 06-24-08, 09:24 PM
Check the temperature diffferential of your a/c. Measure the air temp at your return (suction) grate and then measure the air at a supply vent. The difference should be 14 to 20 degrees. If not within these parameters you will need to call an ac contractor for evaluation. I just moved into a 10 year old house and had to add 2 lbs freon to my system.

Old 06-25-08, 09:59 AM
Only way to tell if unit is sized right is to do a heat load on the home a good HVAC company can help you with this.