Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

foil backed radiant barrier

06-28-08, 09:13 AM   #1  
foil backed radiant barrier

My wife came home today with a truck load of boxes of foil backed radiant barrier with the story of you "just" staple it up on the rafters along the roof. Well I would guess there must be more to it than "just" that. What other things do I need to know before I go and staple this stuff up in an attic that is over 100 deg?

Sponsored Links

VA

06-28-08, 11:51 AM   #2  
The story is that they only work good for a year or two tell the foil gets a very then coating of dust on it. Once this happens they are only to reflect about 25% of there original amount. A much better choice would be the RB paint which has a reflective # of about 68% but it does not drop off.

06-28-08, 08:17 PM   #3  
how to

Thank you for the in site, but I have what I have and any suggestions of how to install would be great!

TX

07-06-08, 06:35 PM   #4  
Posted By: daniel55 Thank you for the in site, but I have what I have and any suggestions of how to install would be great!
Daniel,

Check out this website site for instructions on how to install a radiant barrier to your rafters.

When doing a staple-up job to rafters, you also need to staple to your gable end walls.

FYI: There is also a study about dust theories that you can find in their FAQ.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

07-08-08, 07:35 PM   #5  
Check out this install method some of my installers and customers have been using. It makes installing do-it-yourself radiant barrier foil in a high-pitch attic much easier and safer. It's called the FlatTop Method.
Stay Cool!

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 07-16-08 at 09:31 AM.

Search this Thread