foil backed radiant barrier

Old 06-28-08, 09:13 AM
foil backed radiant barrier

My wife came home today with a truck load of boxes of foil backed radiant barrier with the story of you "just" staple it up on the rafters along the roof. Well I would guess there must be more to it than "just" that. What other things do I need to know before I go and staple this stuff up in an attic that is over 100 deg?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-08, 11:51 AM
The story is that they only work good for a year or two tell the foil gets a very then coating of dust on it. Once this happens they are only to reflect about 25% of there original amount. A much better choice would be the RB paint which has a reflective # of about 68% but it does not drop off.

Old 06-28-08, 08:17 PM
how to

Thank you for the in site, but I have what I have and any suggestions of how to install would be great!

Old 07-06-08, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by daniel55 View Post
Thank you for the in site, but I have what I have and any suggestions of how to install would be great!
Daniel,

Check out this website site for instructions on how to install a radiant barrier to your rafters.

When doing a staple-up job to rafters, you also need to staple to your gable end walls.

FYI: There is also a study about dust theories that you can find in their FAQ.

Old 07-08-08, 07:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check out this install method some of my installers and customers have been using. It makes installing do-it-yourself radiant barrier foil in a high-pitch attic much easier and safer. It's called the FlatTop Method.
Stay Cool!

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 07-16-08 at 09:31 AM.