Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Found Rock Wool Insulation in my attic

VA

07-13-08, 07:09 PM   #1  
Found Rock Wool Insulation in my attic

I found some insulation called "Johns-Manville Spintex Insulation" John Fiber Rock Wool.

I did some research and it appears that this is a non-asbestos and non formaldehyde product.

Other research shows that the R-Value is about 14.5 for 3 inches of insulation.

I believe that I am looking for a minimum of R-30 in my attic walls. (When I say attic walls, I am talking some weird cape cod stuff, but this area is definitely attic related.

Do I need to get rid of this stuff and put a minimum of R-30 insulation in.

Can I add the R-30 insulation in on top of this insulation for a greater R value?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

VA

07-13-08, 07:51 PM   #2  
Posted By: jj94auto I found some insulation called "Johns-Manville Spintex Insulation" John Fiber Rock Wool.

I did some research and it appears that this is a non-asbestos and non formaldehyde product.

Other research shows that the R-Value is about 14.5 for 3 inches of insulation.

I believe that I am looking for a minimum of R-30 in my attic walls. (When I say attic walls, I am talking some weird cape cod stuff, but this area is definitely attic related.

Do I need to get rid of this stuff and put a minimum of R-30 insulation in.

Can I add the R-30 insulation in on top of this insulation for a greater R value?

Thanks
I did some research, this is actually for my knee wall...seems this R-value would be ideal.

Search this Thread