Old brown batt insulation in 1937 Cape Code

Old 09-14-08, 07:51 PM
Old brown batt insulation in 1937 Cape Code

Hi,

I saw that someone posted a question similar to this one a long time ago, but I could not tell if they ever got a clear answer.

I have a Cape Cod in Pittsbugh, PA, in Mt. Lebanon actually, built in 1937. I've got fiberglass batt and cellous blown in most areas of the home, but in a few old walls, or behind the fiberglass, I find this older brown stuff.

I don't think it was ever on any exterior walls, only inner walls and inside walls of crawl spaces.

It's brown and seem sort of like chopped up paper or wood. It has no backing. the "batts" are barely string together with white string. The stuff crumbles easy, as if it were cellose, and give off a fine dust. It is dark rust brown in color.

Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks.

Joel

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-08, 05:03 PM
This is a forerunner of cellulose. In other words it is a chemically treated paper just like cellulose.

Old 09-27-08, 01:07 PM
same

I just pulled a few pieces of sheet rock down from my ceiling to do a repair and noticed I have the same type of insulation, except mine has a black backing and the insulation is brown and looks like ground up paper/cardboard. My house was built in the 40's. Does anyone know what the material is, if so, is it harmful?

Thanks,

Old 10-02-08, 11:13 AM
Thank you Frank!

Thanks for that answer! I had worried it might somehow be asbestos.