How to insulate floor of Post and Pier Cabin

Old 09-29-08, 07:27 AM
How to insulate floor of Post and Pier Cabin

I have a cabin that sits on piers. the floor is traditional 2x8 joist construction and sits approx 3' above sand/dirt grade. but slopes up and there is only about one foot clearance at its lowest point. the perimeter of the building has some type of masonite panels that close in the space (asbestos board I suspect). It gets quite humid down there.

How would you suggest insulating under the floor here?
due to the humidity I need to keep in mind airflow and avoiding premature rotting of the joists. (I already need to replace some of the joists in the section that has very low clearance.

After finishing the insulation, I plan to lay down a 6 mil plastic sheet over the dirt as best I can given the low clearance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-08, 08:18 AM
check out spray foam, the rigid foam will not adsorb water, but you will need to use screen under the boards to keep vermin from nesting in the insullation no mater what kind of insulation you use.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 09-29-08, 08:24 AM
I've been considering sprayfoam, but it seems quite costly. Also, I was under the impression that the critters leave sprayfoam alone? guess not.
I know sprayfoam acts as a vapor barrier, which makes me think that the concealed part of the joists from the foam will be protected from moisture and not promote rot?
Thanks!

Search this Thread