Heated Garage Insulating

Old 10-13-08, 01:13 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heated Garage Insulating

I would like to insulate my garage. The ceiling is sheetrocked with no vapor barrier installed. It's a three car garage and I live in the north where moisture will be an issue in the winter from melting snow. How do I intall a vapor barrier in the ceiling or what product can I use to overcome this problem? Do I need a vapor barrier in the ceiling?

The walls are no issue, they are open studs. Do I need a vapor barrier on the walls?

Last edited by kheazlett; 10-13-08 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-18-08, 05:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Sorry for the delayed response. If you plan on insulating the ceiling of the garage, do so with kraft faced insulation and place the paper down. This is considered an appropriate vapor barrier in that type space. Hopefully you won't have any infiltrating water from snow, etc. Moisture should be overcome by proper ventilation, so check to see that the area is insulated and that air is moving freely from the soffit vents to the ridge vent. This movement of air will help keep down moisture.

Old 10-20-08, 09:54 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So if I use kraft faced insulation face down that will be just fine, ok. But what about R-value, if I want to have the most bang for my buck wouldn't blow-in be better? Or does this come right back to the vapor barrier issue, I need a vapor barrier and don't have one.

The air flow from soffit to peak is very good. The soffit is vented all the way along the two sides and three roof vents at the peak.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: