pole building insulation

Old 10-13-08, 03:51 PM
pole building insulation

Not sure if this is the correct area but , I am in the process of converting a open pole building into a closed-in workshop and am getting ready to finish the outside walls with 26ga. steel siding. I am at a crossroad on what type of insulation to use. When I had the building done last year, I had the builder insulate the roof. He recommended and installed the Double Bubble insulation which is a foil / bubble/bubble/ foil insulation . After some research, I have found that some of the foil type insulation isn't as efficient as the vinyl faced fiberglass. I am considering the foil/styrofoam/foil insulation. I do not mind spending the $$$ if these newer products are efficient. I live in Lower part of South Carolina and the building is 30'x30' with a ceiling height of 14ft. What do ya'll recommend?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-08, 04:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think the foil/styrofoam/foil insulation would be sufficient. I am contemplating insulating my shop ceiling and walls (steel building) with something, and may consider the same thing, considering the exorbitant cost of spray foam. Have you had any recommendations as to the thickness required? Wondering if a 2" thick panel would work in the shop environment.

Old 10-18-08, 08:54 AM
I would have loved to use spray foam also, but the $$$ is way to high over the benefit . The F/st/f insulation, I'm referring to is Prodex, Its does cost more than reg. Fiberglass insulation, but the R value is higher and it's only a 1/4 " thick. I do plan on adding a 3 ton ac unit later on so that is why I'm wanting to see what others have used and why. Some of the contractors here are only after $$$ so their product is always the best.

I feel sure that a 2" panel would be more than adequate in the roof/ ceiling. That's where most the heat loss is in the winter and heat gain in the summer. As far as the walls, I would think 2" panels would be a bit much, but if there's room I would probably do it.