1890's School House Restoration

Old 10-22-08, 08:44 PM
Question 1890's School House Restoration

I am about to start restoring an old school house that has been in my family for some time. It has a double layer of bricks and then plaster for the walls. I was thinking of just framing new walls over top of the existing walls and then insulating the walls with some fiberglass insulation or possibly with roxul. I was wondering if anybody thinks that this is a good idea or should i go about doing this in a different way? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-08, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You just happened to draw a purist, so I don't recommend modifying it beyond "original". What are your plans for the building? Will you convert it to a living space? The layers of bricks will offer a good amount of transferrable insulation in themselves. That means, the sun hits the brick during the day and begins to heat them up. That heat doesn't radiate into the living space until the evening when it is more desirable. Then by morning it is cooling off again.
I envy your ownership and ability to restore this building. It is always good to restore our history. I had the opportunity to work on our old Chamber of Commerce building where I lived previously. It was built in 1793.....my goodness! George Washington was President!!! All rafters were hand hewn and pegged instead of nailed. Good luck with your restoration.

Search this Thread