Insulating an overhang

Old 11-03-08, 06:02 PM
Insulating an overhang

I have a picture window on my first floor living room that over hangs the foundation by a foot. In the winter the floor in the living room is freezing. I have access to the over hang from the basement. What would be the best way to insulate the spaces between the joist? Do I put an air barrier (tyvek) outsides? I'm open to all suggestions for solving this. The house was built in the 50's

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-08, 06:42 AM
Insulation

The insulation must be kept dry. Turn the paper side toward the living space. Secure the insulation to prevent wind damage. Use a moisture barrier between the insulation and the outside air.

Old 11-04-08, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the response. When you say " Use a moisture barrier between the insulation and the outside air. " do you mean inside, between the joist, or outside along the overhang?

Old 11-04-08, 05:10 PM
Hold on now, in the warm climate of tennasse that is correct but in ohio that will rot. In cold climate the vapor barrier goes on the inside(ie behind the drywall, not the bottom/back as suggested last post).

So you have a cantelevered floor. yes air barrier like tyvek on the out side. I wouldnt do anything more than that.Possibly SM screwed to the bottom(this is an air barrier and insulation in one). Spray foam would be best. But its expensive.

Search this Thread