Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulating a basement ceiling

OH

11-21-08, 05:58 AM   #1  

Here's my situation:

New house with an unfinished basement of which I have completed all of the framing and wiring. I plan on dropping the ceiling and installing recessed lighting.

Questions:
What are the pro's/con's of insulating the basement ceiling between the joists with regular fiberglass insulation?...rigid insulation?

If using fiberglass, should I use faced or unfaced? Does it matter? Should the paper be facing the basement or the ceiling above?

Any ideas/comments/concerns would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx, all!

Sponsored Links

12-06-08, 09:49 AM   #2  
answer

Are you finishing the basement walls? If you are, you would not insulate the ceiling except the band boards and perimeter joists just above the walls. Remember to only insulate conditioned spaces. Insulating the ceiling would only provide sound insulation if you finished the basement walls.

If you still need to insulate the ceiling use fiberglass and paper backed toward conditioned space (up).

OH

12-08-08, 06:48 AM   #3  
Posted By: PixelT Are you finishing the basement walls? If you are, you would not insulate the ceiling except the band boards and perimeter joists just above the walls. Remember to only insulate conditioned spaces. Insulating the ceiling would only provide sound insulation if you finished the basement walls.

If you still need to insulate the ceiling use fiberglass and paper backed toward conditioned space (up).

The basement walls are insulated and finished. I really am looking for sound insulation for the basement. Is fiberglas bat or rigid foam better for sound?

12-09-08, 05:59 PM   #4  
I'm not sure which is a better sound insulator. Styrofoam would be my guess. But, it's probably minimal. If you use fiberglass,...you would use unfaced as sound insulation.

MN

12-09-08, 06:04 PM   #5  

Fiberglass is even worse for sound insulation than it is for real thermal insualtion.

Look at Roxall(?) or rock wool since it has better properties for sound. The problem is that is is hard to promote a gray pather, while a pink pather is cute with few real credentials.

OH

12-09-08, 06:18 PM   #6  
Posted By: PixelT I'm not sure which is a better sound insulator. Styrofoam would be my guess. But, it's probably minimal. If you use fiberglass,...you would use unfaced as sound insulation.

Thanx for the additional info. I appreciate it.

OH

12-09-08, 06:22 PM   #7  
Posted By: Concretemasonry Fiberglass is even worse for sound insulation than it is for real thermal insualtion.

Look at Roxall(?) or rock wool since it has better properties for sound. The problem is that is is hard to promote a gray pather, while a pink pather is cute with few real credentials.

Good suggestion. I will look into it. Thanx

MN

01-03-09, 09:00 AM   #8  
I am looking at the same situation. Have you had any luck with this?

Search this Thread