Insulating a basement ceiling

Reply

  #1  
Old 11-21-08, 05:58 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 16
Insulating a basement ceiling

Here's my situation:

New house with an unfinished basement of which I have completed all of the framing and wiring. I plan on dropping the ceiling and installing recessed lighting.

Questions:
What are the pro's/con's of insulating the basement ceiling between the joists with regular fiberglass insulation?...rigid insulation?

If using fiberglass, should I use faced or unfaced? Does it matter? Should the paper be facing the basement or the ceiling above?

Any ideas/comments/concerns would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx, all!
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-06-08, 09:49 AM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 11
answer

Are you finishing the basement walls? If you are, you would not insulate the ceiling except the band boards and perimeter joists just above the walls. Remember to only insulate conditioned spaces. Insulating the ceiling would only provide sound insulation if you finished the basement walls.

If you still need to insulate the ceiling use fiberglass and paper backed toward conditioned space (up).
 
  #3  
Old 12-08-08, 06:48 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by PixelT View Post
Are you finishing the basement walls? If you are, you would not insulate the ceiling except the band boards and perimeter joists just above the walls. Remember to only insulate conditioned spaces. Insulating the ceiling would only provide sound insulation if you finished the basement walls.

If you still need to insulate the ceiling use fiberglass and paper backed toward conditioned space (up).

The basement walls are insulated and finished. I really am looking for sound insulation for the basement. Is fiberglas bat or rigid foam better for sound?
 
  #4  
Old 12-09-08, 05:59 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 11
I'm not sure which is a better sound insulator. Styrofoam would be my guess. But, it's probably minimal. If you use fiberglass,...you would use unfaced as sound insulation.
 
  #5  
Old 12-09-08, 06:04 PM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,126
Insulating a basement ceiling

Fiberglass is even worse for sound insulation than it is for real thermal insualtion.

Look at Roxall(?) or rock wool since it has better properties for sound. The problem is that is is hard to promote a gray pather, while a pink pather is cute with few real credentials.
 
  #6  
Old 12-09-08, 06:18 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by PixelT View Post
I'm not sure which is a better sound insulator. Styrofoam would be my guess. But, it's probably minimal. If you use fiberglass,...you would use unfaced as sound insulation.

Thanx for the additional info. I appreciate it.
 
  #7  
Old 12-09-08, 06:22 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
Fiberglass is even worse for sound insulation than it is for real thermal insualtion.

Look at Roxall(?) or rock wool since it has better properties for sound. The problem is that is is hard to promote a gray pather, while a pink pather is cute with few real credentials.

Good suggestion. I will look into it. Thanx
 
  #8  
Old 01-03-09, 09:00 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 31
I am looking at the same situation. Have you had any luck with this?
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes