Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can Insulation have vapor barrier built into it?

11-23-08, 12:28 PM   #1  
Can Insulation have vapor barrier built into it?

While tearing down ceramic tile and rotted drywall in a bathroom shower repair I noticed that the pink fiberglass insulation had some slight black mold growing on it, so I am opting to replace those columns.

My house was built in the late 1970s and I noted that all of my exterior walls including this bath one had a aprx 2-3 mil thick piece of clear plastic over top of the insulation which I assume is the vapor barrier. This bathroom insulation appears not to be "faced" in that it is pink on both sides (no paper on one side).

I have 2x4 outside wall construction so I purchased R-13 PinkPro or ProPink insulation. Because this is the "good stuff" and is "faced", do I need to put a 2-3 mil thick sheet of clear plastic over top of it? Is this specificially the vapor barrier or can you purchase pink insulation that has a vapor barrier built in?

It is my assumption that because this is "faced" that if I staple the faced part interior so I can see it that is all I should require.

If it matters I will be putting cement board over top of the insulation when I redo the shower stall.

If I need to 2-3 mill plastic for a vapor barrier any special thing I should ask for at HD or Lowes? When I did this today, they pointed me to the drop clothes in the paint area.

Sponsored Links

VA

11-23-08, 05:55 PM   #2  
Very common for people to think that paper faced insulation is a VB. The paper does not have a high enough perm rating to be a VB so yes you should add the 4mil VB. If they make insulation with the ploy on it I have never seen it. I would think it would be easier to add it at the end than to have to sell each piece to the next.

11-23-08, 07:10 PM   #3  
Thanks airman. The ploy actually came from the Lowes guy whom after I asked about the plastic sheet said something paraphrased "the liner of the insulation has tar built into it which acts as a moisture barrier".

Is there anything special about the clear plastic sheet other than it is 4 mil?

11-23-08, 07:26 PM   #4  
After some further investigating, it appears that the Lowes guy was right. Supposedly if you have kraft faced insulation it does act as the barrier.

Save Energy: Question: If we buy Kraft-faced insulation will we need to install a plastic vapor retarder over it?

I guess there could be a debate if you should use faced or no face with the 4 mill poly or not. Since I already have the roll I'll probably just use it.

11-24-08, 11:53 AM   #5  
Posted By: BillyDIY I guess there could be a debate if you should use faced or no face with the 4 mill poly or not. Since I already have the roll I'll probably just use it.
Technically the (coated) kraft face and 4 mil poly are both vapor retarder's, not barrier's. But what ever you call it, all you need if the kraft faced insulation. It's never a great idea to have two vapor barriers (as you can trap moisture between the two), but it shouldn't be a problem as long as they are at the same depth in the wall.

Search this Thread