no see um batt installs

Old 11-23-08, 05:43 PM
no see um batt installs

I am insulating a wall about 20 ft long. inside on the house slab downstairs.
It is covered with tongue and groove and nailed with brads. I would destroy
it if I took all the 1x6 boards off. I ended up taking 2 boards off in the middle of the wall about 4 ft up.halfway.I am going to attempt to push and pull the batts up and down to install them.There is some wiring but not
much and no pipes. I am not paying for some idiot to put foam in and charge 400 dollars.what a scam.
Anyone ,especially an installer have any tips to get these batts in. They will be 22 inches wide. they have to go 4 ft up and 4 ft down. The down
should be easy.I cant staple them except at the opening.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-08, 09:51 AM
If I were you i would have left the boards in place; drilled 2 inch holes-one per stud bay and blow in cellulose. You could get it dense packed if you used a long fill tube on the end of the hose. Also if using a hole saw you can save the plugs to patch the wall when done. If you have the drill the entire job would cost you less than 100 bucks. I hate to say it but you will not have good results installing batts the way you outlined. If you mash them even a little its no good and if there is air leaking into the wall it wont stop it even with a good install. Cellulose densely packed will insulate and really stop the air leakage. Read some previous posts on dense packingwith celluose and fill tubes.

Old 11-24-08, 04:17 PM
if one spark hit that cellulose ever it could explode in fire.
thats why I wouldnt ever use that stuff.

Old 11-24-08, 08:10 PM
Sadly someone has really misinformed you about cellulose and its abilities to resist the spread of fires in homes. Hint: it has something to do with the borate additive and the ability of cellulose to stop air movement thru a structure. Do yourself a favor and test a handful. Then do the same on a bit of fiberglass with that paper backing. You'd be amazed at the results.