Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New England Spray Foam Contractors

NH

11-28-08, 08:17 AM   #1  
New England Spray Foam Contractors

Can anyone recommend a spray foam contractor in Boston/Southern New Hampshire area? I've left messages with 6 contractors that advertise as spray foam installers in MA/NH over the last week and not one has called back. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

ME

11-28-08, 12:43 PM   #2  
I would bet each and every one of those companies would love to bid your job, only one, make that a few problems: Deer season, Thanksgiving, peak busy season, end of year vacations, Basically, too many orders with not enough employees.
Happy Holidays and patience,
Bud

Can u tell us what you are doing, maybe other options will work?

Last edited by Bud9051; 11-28-08 at 03:10 PM.

DE

11-28-08, 03:07 PM   #3  
prepare tp pay 3-4 times what fiberglass would cost you if you did the work. The foam scene is Larceny. simple as that.

NH

11-28-08, 10:06 PM   #4  
I want to insulate my rim joist. I removed fiberglass batts from the spaces because there was evidence of rodent activity. Now that it's totally cleaned out (and after good bit of reading this forum), it seems to me that I have two options: 1) spray foam, or 2) adhere some XPS to each space, silicone the gaps, and back it with batts. I'd love to get some bids on spray foam before I go through the hassle of putting XPS up in all that space. Plus, I'm not wild about putting more fiberglass up for possible future rodent nest. Unfortunately, I can't even get anyone to call me back. If these guys can't handle the business, what's the harm in calling back and just saying as much? It's unprofressional as hell to not return calls. And unfortunately in my experience, typical.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-29-08, 03:15 AM   #5  
Unfortunately there are many contractors that don't bother with professional etiquette. Doesn't make it right - just a fact. When you are dealing with specialized jobs with little or no competion, it gets worse

While I always returned everyone's call - even if to tell them I was too busy or that I couldn't do the job for atleast 6 months, not all contractors look at it that way. I've been trying to get my property resurveyed to rectify a boundry dispute - since late last winter. My lawyer said there were only 2 surveyors he would trust - 1 never returned my calls, the other final called back in May, said it would be awhile, came out in august and agreed to do the job and hasn't been back. He did return a call last week and said he hopes to get to it in a few months. - jsut so you know, they've not singled you out

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

ME

11-29-08, 06:11 AM   #6  
I agree with your choice of avoiding fiberglass, I've seen the results when little critters get in ECHH. There is another choice I don't think was mentioned and it is a reasonable alternative for the rim joist, DIY spray foam. Several brands and I have not tried any as yet, but plan to. If you try it, post back to let me know how it went.

I have a contractor way up in Maine that last gave me a ballpark price of $1.05 per board ft. Min. 2 inches thick. Be aware that the foam, spray or rigid is supposed to be covered with a fire barrier. The spray foam guy says he tells people that, but no one bothers in the basement. There is supposed to be a paint that qualifies, again haven't used it, cost? availability?

Note, for people who are going to add one or two inches of rigid foam under some new siding, they won't need extra insulation in the rim joist, as the siding with foam will cover it. Just air seal.

I'm done, good luck,
Bud

NH

11-29-08, 10:33 AM   #7  
I realize I'm not singled out. It's just frustrating. That's why when I finally do find someone, I stay out of the way, let them work, and pay cash! Bud, I did look at tigerfoam.com. They have a $335 kit that looks like it would do the job. I'm a coward though. From my experiences with the canned stuff, it can really get away from you and is a nightmare to clean up. Therefore if I do it myself, and that appears to be all but certain at this point, I'm going to buy some 4x8 sheets of R-12 XPS. The basement is approximately 50x25. I took another look around my rim joist and it looks like there are only about 15 out of 75 voids that are obstructed (wires, pipes, etc.) plus the sides that run parallel to the joists. I don't have a thermometer down there but I think that I've noticed a distinct temperature drop since I pulled out the batts last weekend. The house is Tyvek wrapped and sided in vinyl so there is zero insulation. I better get cracking. Question concerning the fire barrier-what qualifies? That's no place to be drywalling. If fiberglass batts qualify as a firestop, that's probably the way I'll go. I believe that the XPS and silicone should have that perimeter sealed tight, right? So rodents should be a non-issue (or pert near). Thanks, fellas.

12-03-08, 06:49 PM   #8  
Foundation Insulation

Just throwing this out there. Rim joists are good to air seal and insulate. But what most people don't realize is that 8" of concrete has roughly the same R-Value as a single pane of glass. As a thermographer I see the heat loss through the foundation on 95% of the homes I inspect. By insulating the inside of the foundation you can really cut down on heat loss from the basement.

01-21-09, 05:29 PM   #9  
Greenstar spray foam company

We recently put spray foam insulation in our attic and have been very pleased with the results. The company was Greenstar - based in Westwood, MA. The phone is 781-799-7303. Good luck.

Search this Thread