What Insulation To Use???

Old 11-30-08, 11:11 AM
What Insulation To Use???

My mom owns a house that must be around 100 years old and has the usual brick foundation with crawlspace. I have no idea of the floor joist spacing, but will check on that ASAP. The home has no insulation whatsoever between the floor joists and I've been telling her for a few years it will save alot on her heating with an older drafty home like that and will be more comfortable overall as well. I told her to get 2 estimates on what it will cost and was considering doing it myself to save her a few $$$ and I'd benefit by it as well. What is the type of insulation most often recommended for this setup? The usual fiberglass in the rolled up bundle? Would having the paper on one side (moisture barrier) be beneficial? I've always been told that if that type is used the moisture barrier should always be installed toward the living space. Is that correct? Thanks for any info. Later!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-08, 11:30 AM
1st paper is not a moisture barrier, because it does not have a high enough perm rating. rolled fiber glass would work well in her crawl. If she is in a green grass state spray foam would be a wise choice to prevent mold in the crawl space.

Old 11-30-08, 12:35 PM
Yeah I thought the fiberglass rolls would be the best time/money saver. We live in North Carolina and I have researched the spray foams, but I don't know if she'd be willing to invest more for that. I know it can pay for itself in time, but usually more cost up front. My dad died awhile back and she may not keep the house the rest of her life, might want something smaller and easier to maintain.

So, something like the fiberglass rolls, cut to length and held in place with the precut wire pieces? Thanks again. Later!