Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How Much To Use???

12-01-08, 12:27 PM   #1  
How Much To Use???

OK I did the math..... My mom needs insulation put in between all the floor joists of her 100 year old home. They are 2x8s and 24" on center. Judging by a chart I found I'd need to install R-19 for our area. I have determined the total sq. ft. to be around 1190. Is there a conversion chart available that'd tell me how many rolls (fiberglass) I'll need? If I'm using the precut wires to hold the insulation in place about how far should they be spaced in this application? Thanks in advance. Later!

Sponsored Links

ME

12-01-08, 01:25 PM   #2  
Not sure on the pre-cut wire spacing, but I don't think I would go beyond 16". 12" might be a better number. Hopefully one of the contractors will straighten me out on that point.
39 feet long and 75 sq. ft. to a roll of 6", just checked my pink stuff, unfaced, but other brands may vary slightly. 15.9 rolls if people were perfect, so pick up 17 rolls and 600 wires.

Before I let you go, when you insulate the floor, you make the space above warmer but the space below colder. Basement, crawlspace, dirt or concrete floor, any exposed pipes, where is her furnace, forced hot air or hot water heat, and where approximately does she live, warm medium or cold?

Bud

12-01-08, 01:50 PM   #3  
Hey, thanks for that info. Never dealt with insulation before, just trying to save her money from having it done by others.

We live in North Carolina, winters here aren't too bad. She does have a natural gas furnace that extends down into the crawlspace (floor mount), so that will help keep things warm. I do plan to insulate any water lines as well. How close can the insulation be to the furnace housing? I'm sure it shouldn't butt right up against it.

It's just a dirt crawlspace, covered with thick plastic. No forced water system. Thanks again. Later!

Search this Thread