Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

new home interior basement insulating

12-04-08, 08:18 AM   #1  
new home interior basement insulating

Hello all, I am a newbie to the forum. I tried to answer my question by piecing many other posts together but still had questions.

I am building a new home with an exposed back foundation wall (10" concrete). It will have brick on the exterior. My questions are how to best insulate the interior of this wall, where to place vapor bariers, how thick, can I have them spray this wall with cellulose, etc. Any advise or references are appreciated.

thanks
cmw

Sponsored Links

OK

12-04-08, 07:52 PM   #2  
EERE Consumer's Guide: Basement Insulation, check out this web site for info about insullating basements.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

12-05-08, 05:56 AM   #3  
speedwrench,

Thanks, this is great information. However, it is not very specific for the diy guy regarding the specifics and how too. I'll keep searching, thanks again!

12-06-08, 11:11 AM   #4  
Insulation companies use a Flamespread insulation which is an R-13 roll 4 feet wide and it is fastened to the concrete fnd wall using a Hilti powder actuated gun.

You're going to have to call a contractor supply house, not HD or Lowes for this one. You can purchase or rent a Hilti gun at HD. Be sure to buy pins (nails) with washers.

OH

12-11-08, 07:23 PM   #5  
I'm about a year behind you in building. There is a ton of information out there on proper insulation and how many contractors still put do things like putting foil faced fiberglass insulation, for example, in contact with concrete walls. I'd go with 2" rigid foam that has a vapor barrier on one side and a foil face on the other. Apply your adhesive vertically so that any serious moisture (unlikely in your case) can weep out behind the foam board. Seal the joints with foil tape. With the exterior wall fully exposed any moisture that builds up in the wall will be able to dry to the outside.

Interesting reading: Builders Guide to Mixed Climates (Joseph Lstiburek)

BSD-103: Understanding Basements —

12-13-08, 12:52 AM   #6  
insulate exterior if you can

i just insulated outside of my 52 year old foundation. if you can find someone to dig affordably (only just over $2,000 in my case), i got someone to sprayfoam the foundation to seal a few small cracks and protect the old but ok concrete from top to bottom (about $3000 in spray insulation for the foundation alone of 1700 sq ft bungalow. i also added some cheaper white insulation of about r 4 per inch, about 6 inches but the seal is not perfect, the seal is provided by the spray foam.

before it was finished, only half my furnace room wall was done outside. it already made a diff at zero celcius, the wall insulated outside was much warmer than the other side not insulated. the basement it toasty warm now that the tons of concrete is a heat sink on the inside, not outside the warmth. i have very few vents open downstairs as it's warm there and we need much more heat upstairs where sprayfoam in 2x4 stud cavities and 300-400 sq ft windows means we ne need more. i believe insulating outside provides this heat sink better than people who go for those insulated concrete foundations and walls (which have less, and cheaper insulation on both sides of the concrete). there is a bit of research on spray insulation on the outside of concrete (national research council in canada i believe). we have it cold up here and it's worth it so far (we are getting -26 celcius for a while).

12-13-08, 12:56 AM   #7  
as for merits of inside/outside concrete:

EERE Consumer's Guide: Basement Insulation

Search this Thread