Insulate a shipping container

Old 12-06-08, 08:48 PM
Insulate a shipping container

I'm looking for ideas on how to insulate a shipping container. In order to maximize space, I'd prefer not to fur it out and add regular fiberglass insulation.

I've read some articles about the ceramic paints, but it seems to good to be true (and it's expensive...). Would 1/2" rigid styrofoam be effective? Foil-faced bubble wrap?

Thanks for any input...I'm searching for answers so my wife can't give me the old 'I told you so' speech.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-08, 05:32 AM
Hi Bill, first, you never want to take the "I told you so" opportunity away from the wife, it is one of their highlights in life. I should know. OK, insulating a shipping container will only work for a very short period of time, unless you go crazy with the insulation. 1/2" of rigid or the fbbf won't slow the process much. How big of a container? Hot or Cold? and how long?
Bud

Old 12-07-08, 11:05 AM
Yes. You're right...They do enjoy it.

It is a 45 x 8 x 9.5 steel cube. I will likely only use it for a few hours at a time. Most likely in the evening after work. We are in Nebraska, so it will be cold.

Old 12-07-08, 01:27 PM
I would look very hard at spray insullation, best insulation for the inch. IMO, what are you going to use the container for that could also affect the type of insulation used.

Murphy was an optimist

Old 12-07-08, 03:46 PM
Spray insulation might work...We are using it for a baseball/softball workout area for my kids. It may be necessary to cover it to protect it from balls, etc.

Thanks for the info.

Old 12-07-08, 04:53 PM
an inch of rigid spray foam, tell them to throw away that stuff is very tuff and should hold up well to the occasional ball, don't use the soft spray foam a lot of home builders are using these days.

if we're not supposed to eat animials why are they made out of meat?

Search this Thread