Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to insulate under clapboard in 1920's house

NJ

12-08-08, 08:04 PM   #1  
How to insulate under clapboard in 1920's house

I have a home in NJ, built in 1920. Clapboard, with lathe and plaster on the inside. The problem is two corner rooms will not heat enough, even after the radiators have been tweeked and adjusted. So I am considering insulation for those two rooms.

The clapboard is fine, from the inside of the house I am thinking either I rip out the lathe and plaster (under that is a space the depth of the vertical large 2x4s, then sort of like plywood, then the clapboard) and install insulation, then put on drywall

OR....

I blow in insulation or foam into the wall from the inside, leave the lathe and plaster there and just drill holes?

What is the best way?

And...

Does it matter if there are electrical wires in some of the vertical spaces if I insulate in there?

Sorry, I just do not know.

Thx...

Last edited by dvarga; 12-08-08 at 08:15 PM. Reason: incomplete explanation

Sponsored Links

ME

12-09-08, 05:50 PM   #2  
get some bids on cellulose and foam and talk to both. They use a lot of cellulose up here and it does a good job. If you decide to tear off the plaster and lathe, install the insulation and cover with one or two inches of rigid foam board, then the rock. A much better r-value and air seal and easy to do when it is open.
HH
Bud

NJ

12-21-08, 05:36 AM   #3  
Bids

Bud,

Thx, got bids on about 200' of horizontal wall (x 8.5' vertical). Came in from $1500 to $4500. I went with a local guy for $2400, this guy could answer my questions and gave credible favorable references...

Dave

ME

12-21-08, 06:44 AM   #4  
If you can be there when they do it, it always helps. And ask if they use an infrared camera to be certain all of the cavities will get filled. A good cellulose job will make you happy and warm. Let us know how it turns out. And good price.

HH
Bud

NJ

12-31-08, 04:30 AM   #5  
contractor

Well the contrator came. No camera. THey did not do all the house, but almost all, about 200 horizontal feet.

They drilled two holes per cavity which was every 16", I was there both days. The filled the bottom hole. Then filled the top one, the installer had a blow back valve to stop dust from coming into the room. The nozzle was angled and he kept rotating it to fill the cavity until it appeared to be filled.

It has not been real cold yet, cannot tell the effect till then.

Search this Thread