Mold/Frost in Corner of outside wall

Old 12-15-08, 05:31 AM
Mold/Frost in Corner of outside wall

I have been battling this corner with mold lately. This picture is of this morning and the frost buildup.

IMG_3098 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I wonder if there is no insulation up there above it do you think? I went and looked to see if there was insulation and it looked like there was, but it is in a corner so it is tuff to get back there and see for sure.

Also, we have problems with our exhaust fan dripping in this bathroom with condensation too. Could this be because of lack of insulation? It is a pretty big area that has frost. I would say the longest part you see is almost 12 inches.

Thanks for the help and any suggestions you may have.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-08, 08:11 AM
From your description, it sounds like that is an outside corner with an attic above it. Is there a vented soffit above one wall and a gable wall above the other? There may in fact be insulation, but without an air baffle, the cold filters right through the insulation. Tell us what is up there for insulation.

Now, the dripping exhaust fan. Does the fan vent to the outside? Is the duct visible in the attic? Warm moist air passing through a cold duct will condense out moisture. The duct should have lots of extra insulation around it, preferably rigid as opposed to flexible, and be slopped to the outside just in case some moisture forms. The bath fan should also be run an extra 30 minutes after each shower to get rid of excess moisture. There is a special switch with a delayed off feature for this.

Back to the frosty spot, when you inspect that corner, note any electrical wires or plumbing vents as they will need to be sealed. Corners don't usually have many, but check anyway. Is this a ranch and do you have access to the basement below. I'll check back,
Bud

Old 12-15-08, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the reply and would some additional pictures be helpful? Let me see if i can explain a little better where it is located. I don't know all the lingo but i will give it my best.

We live in a rambler style house. The wall to the right is adjacent to our walk in closet so is an interior wall. However, this portion is a cantaleaver which extends from the foundation about 2 feet or so. The closet does not cantaleaver at all.

The roof is odd as well in that it is a gable, but a false gabel so when I go into the attic it is very narrow and hard to get to. There is no visible venting due to the false gable, however, on the opposite side of the closet wall is a porch where the attic extends over it. That entire porch has some sort of venting as I can see daylight through the small holes of the metal covering.

I live in ND and this cold weather we are just getting caused this ice, however, we have been seeing some mold up there in days/weeks prior.

I put my hand up to this corner and it is freezing cold. This is where I thought it could be an insulating problem, but you can see it isn't ice ridin the entior length of the wall either so I am confused.

The house is a rambler style and I don't have access in the basement. I went into the attic and I don't see any wires or plumbing of any sorts coming throgh this particular spot.

Thanks again for the response and if it would be helpful I can post additional pictures if you think it would help?

Old 12-15-08, 01:46 PM
Pictures would help, me at least, I can be thick at times. It sounds like the wall to the right is exposed to the outside for the two foot overhang, then joins the closet wall adjacent to that room. If that is an outside corner, it is common for the builder to forget to insulate the corner itself. It's one of those little areas that get boxed in by the studs and then the plywood on the outside. Someone has to be thinking ahead to make sure that gets done, thus it doesn't.

Pictures from the attic and outside would help. Also, what type of siding?

Bud

Search this Thread