spray in attic insulation questions

Old 12-31-08, 06:44 AM
blown in attic insulation questions

My attic is all 2x4 construction and the insulation that is in there now doesnt even cover the boards. I want to blow in new insulation. I live in central illinois. Im not sure how much to spray. Also, what can I put around my bathroom exhaust fans to keep the insulation out of there. the motor box that is in the attic has slits in the side. Should I cover those with tape or something? Is there any other prep work I need to know about? Anything for the plumbing or furnace exhaust? Can I just go right over the existing 1967 stuff that is up there?
ANY help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-08, 06:57 AM
You can surround the box with fibreglass batts like a shield

Old 12-31-08, 07:17 AM
is there an alternative? I want to blow it in to avoid using the batts. also, i have the baffle vents on everyother soffit cavity. how do i keet the blown in stuff out of the soffitt in the other cavities? should i line the whole perimiter of the attic with baffles then blow in? yikes

Old 12-31-08, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by ajmorrow View Post
You can surround the box with fibreglass batts like a shield
Originally Posted by Djsrcy View Post
is there an alternative? I want to blow it in to avoid using the batts. also, i have the baffle vents on everyother soffit cavity. how do i keet the blown in stuff out of the soffitt in the other cavities? should i line the whole perimiter of the attic with baffles then blow in? yikes
I believe ajmorrow is pointing out the fact that batts can be an efficient and removable barrier protection in most of your areas of concern. With the use of some good tape and scissors; there is very little that you cannot protect (then remove) both large and small.

Old 12-31-08, 07:55 AM
go it thanks. Ive done some more research and it looks like people use everything from cardboard cut outs to cut pieces of paper face to the batts. ill figure it out. thanks again

if there is any other prep work needed please let me know

Old 12-31-08, 08:23 AM
seal all holes created by wiring, the chimney etc.

Seal up all lighting fixtures that penetrate the ceiling. You can find those soft plastic boxes (that are in my attic, and really suck because they are 5 times as big as potlight) or you can make a box out of rigid foil backed insulation.

Old 12-31-08, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Djsrcy View Post
Also, what can I put around my bathroom exhaust fans to keep the insulation out of there. the motor box that is in the attic has slits in the side
Do the fans currently exhaust to the attic, or the exterior?

Search this Thread