Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Garage ceiling insulation vs carpet

01-01-09, 01:47 AM   #1  
Garage ceiling insulation vs carpet

Hi all,

I've got a large garage sitting immediately underneath a living area and 2 bedrooms, concrete ceiling, and a wooden floor in the living area. It's proving to be pretty chilly during winter, and I'm hoping I can find a quick, cheap(ish) solution to keeping the cold out.

My initial plan was to fix styrofoam sheets to the ceiling, though it really is a large ceiling and I'd be looking at about $500 upwards. Another option I've started looking into, are good quality carpet tiles.

I've got a few currently that I've placed in one section of the living area, and I'm pretty surprised at how effective they are (to the touch) at keeping the cold air out - they've got fairly thick rubber underlay. I expect I'd have to pay a bit for carpet tiles as well, but then I also think I'd be adding value (cosmetically at least) to my property.

Any thoughts, advice, experience - hugely appreciated
Jon

Sponsored Links

ME

01-01-09, 04:07 PM   #2  
Hi Jon,
I have no experience with a concrete floor in that position. The rigid downstairs would add the greater r-value, but I suspect the wood floors would still feel cold, the nature of wood and the fact that the cold settles to the floor. The carpet squares would have a warm feeling, but not a lot of actual insulation value. Easy choice, both.

Bud

OH

01-01-09, 04:20 PM   #3  
I don't believe exposed styrofoam insulation meets building codes. Carpet does offer insulative value. There are also insulative carpet cushions available as well as radiant heat meats for use under carpet.

01-02-09, 05:57 AM   #4  
yep, both would be best of course - but need to be a bit careful with how much I spend here at the moment

the carpet tiles I've got have no cool air flowing through - they've got a thick, strong rubber underlay; even though the wood is cold to the touch when I raise the tiles, laying them back over seems to work a charm - and of course, the other concern was as 'twelvepole' mentioned - I'd have to further develop the ceiling beyond the styrofoam...

am taking it this is a pretty uncommon approach appreciating your thoughts!

Search this Thread