insulating old 1911 brick/cement block home

Old 01-08-09, 09:45 AM

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows how I can insulate the walls of my home, it is an 1911 brick/ cement block home and the walls are recently replasterd. I know that there is insulation of shreaded newsars like materials, but I cannot /want not drill holls in the block from the outside to spary the insulation in or drill holls in the new plaster. I have tried removing the basemolding this either damagened the plaster or the base board broke. The only option I have is to go from the bottom and that being my basement. I would love to know if there is anything available that I can spray up though the basement that is strong enough to go up two stories...
Thanks

Pieter

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-09, 10:50 AM
I'm not a pro, but I can think of a few questions and maybe they'd help get an answer.
---

Up two stories?
As in <I>through the basement and then up two above ground</I> or <I>two, including the basement</I>?

I gather that there's some kind of wooden frame (studs) to which the plaster is fastened; Are they 2"x4", 1"x2" or what and is it a standard frame (with likely a top-plate between floors), or are the "studs" fastened directly to the bricks and do you have reason to believe that they form uninterrupted channels?

And, I gather there's no attic and that's why shooting down isn't an option.
---

Just theorizing here, but maybe a pro or a well-armed DIYer could fashion something that could shoot the hard foam up a long wand, but if you could get through from one floor to the other, you'd think there'd be a lot of fishing/shooting in the dark and a lot of wishing/hoping for good coverage.

Old 01-08-09, 11:01 AM
I have been told that my home is a ballonn construction so it is open between the floors I am assuming that the palster boards ( where the paster is stuck to) are mounted to 2x4's
But I am not a 100% sure and I agree with the shooring in the dark part, I was just hoping that there is something out there that I am not aware of...
Since it has to go up a long ways 2 stories excluding basement
Thanks for the reply

Old 01-08-09, 12:41 PM

Does your home have a concrete block basement with 2 stories of balloon frame and then brick veneer on the outside?

If so, even if it is ballon framed you may find to barriers or obstruction preventing going directly from top to bottom. the reason is that the older framing methods always seemed to have some local variations and habits.

Your safest bet would be to attack from the inside and have the insulation blown or pumped into the void for each level and you may find some going through to the next level. The contractor may be faced with some probing with a wire/fish tape. the fact you have found some insulation complicates things since it could prevent 100% insulation coverage.

I had a very unique architectural home that was build using 10" hollow clay block going up 12' above the basement level. This supported a flat roof with interior downspouts. Inside, was full 2x4 framing to support a 9' interior ceiling with insulation above and insulation (horse hair and other fibers) covered with lath and plaster and a 1/16" china glaze. Fortunately the clay block insulated so well, we had an occasion to try t0 fish wires from the basement, but there always seemed be something in the way.

Your best bet will be to try from the inside since the interior may be easier to patch that drill and patch the brick without it showing.

Dick

Old 01-12-09, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the info I guess I am going to have to drill holls in the plaster I will drill two holes on each lever between the studs one on floor level and one close to the ceiling just to make sure to insulate the most effective. I guess I have some drilling to do
Thanks again for your reply.
Pieter