Any good way to insulate the dryer hose?

Old 01-18-09, 10:18 AM
Any good way to insulate the dryer hose?

The inside of my dryer when not running is under 40F when it's cold outside. Obviously, there's a direct connection to the outside via the vent. Due to the placement of the back door, I have no room behind except the 4" required for the hose. Anyone have a good method to reduce the amount of cold air coming in?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-09, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Do you have a flapper style vent on the exterior?

The dryer itself is pretty well sealed, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Guess its just compensation for the heat you gain when the dryer is used.

Old 01-23-09, 05:38 PM
Air Sealed Dryer Vent

I'd take a look at your flapper on the outside on the house. If you have lint clogging up the flapper so it can't seal, your as good as adding a nice big hole in the side of your house for cold outside air to enter your dryer.

That cold air comes in the drying and whether or not the dryer is sealed well or not doesn't matter too much, because dryers aren't insulated well (at least mine isn't). So the cold dryer is like a big ice block in side your house. Not ideal.

I'd look into an air sealed dryer vent like I did. I have a photo of what I installed as an upgraded dryer vent and my story about it here.

--Peter

Old 12-12-13, 12:37 PM
Thanks Peter!
There was so much lint on the sides of the flapper the flap was wide open!
I hear this is going to be a cold winter. Every little bit helps.
--
Allison

Old 12-12-13, 01:11 PM
Keep the flapper clean.

You don't want to mess with anything that could obstruct the opening and closing of that door and go ahead and invest in a clean out kit and clean that line now.