Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

detatched garage ceiling insulation

NJ

01-24-09, 07:06 AM   #1  
detatched garage ceiling insulation

I want to insulate the garage ceiling but i don't plan on sheet rocking it in the near future. Should I use un-faced or faced fiberglass bats? i just want to trap some heat in the garage so i can shut off the heater while i paint.

Sponsored Links

NM

01-24-09, 08:49 AM   #2  
I'm thinking the faced insulation would be easier to install.
What kind of painting are you doing?
s/t

NJ

01-24-09, 12:38 PM   #3  
Right now i am painting suspension parts to my car but i hope to paint the whole car at some point.

The faced may be easier to install but if i never get around to sheetrock will the paper start to flake like the old stuff i have in my attic?

01-25-09, 04:17 AM   #4  
How are you planning on making unfaced insulation stay there? Without the stapling flange and no sheetrock it will fall out Also, if you are going to paint a car here with exposed fiberglass you will be getting this stuff in your wet paint. I would put up a heavy sheet of poly, attach it real good to the ceiling joists, and lay the unfaced on top between the joists.

PA

01-25-09, 08:05 AM   #5  
Posted By: Craig 845 How are you planning on making unfaced insulation stay there? Without the stapling flange and no sheetrock it will fall out
That is false, at lowes I have bought these straight pieces of wire. They are about 17 or 18 inches long. If you install unfaced in between your joists you then put these wires up in between the joists under the fiberglass to hold it up. It works great. I used unfaced for my bathroom remodel for the ceiling b/c I had extra laying around and ran out of faced. I acutally cut coat hangers and it worked fine. I then installed drywall of course but it was a couple weeks I had the insulation up before I drywalled.
But again like craig said, when you go painting the fiberglass may get some paint on it. I am sure if your painting with a air compressor and professional paint gun, you know what your doing and your not going to go crazy with the paint. But if you do your car I would put some poly(foam board) up. My dad only has the foam board on his ceiling in the garage and has fiberglass on the walls and his garage in -4 degrees was 72 in there this morning. He was washing his truck!!

GOOD LUCK A warm garage is priceless!!!

NJ

01-26-09, 07:45 PM   #6  
That is right they make wire to support the un-faced. As far as fiberglass falling out i think this would be a problem for both. I was going to put plastic up to try and contain the over spray from coating the entire garage anyway.

CA

02-17-09, 06:50 PM   #7  
Hi Sparky,

When you say you are insulating the ceiling of an attached garage I suspect you are insulating the underside of the roof... correct?

If so, there are two ways to go using faced insulation, not batts or unfaced roll goods.

The less expensive way to go is to use one side foil over kraft paper with stapling leaves. This usually comes in rolls and may have to be special ordered unless you are dealing with a large insulation warehouse with a deep inventory. A serious roof leak will damage kraft paper with foil.

The more expensive route is foil coated mylar with reinforcing nylon mesh on one side of the fiberglass. This is a highly reflective surface and a better heat barrier which is stapled up in the same manner. It is also water-resistant so if it gets wet from a leak, the water runs downhill. Install starting at the roof peak and work down flapping lower pieces over upper pieces (like shingling upside down). This type of insulation is also sag resistant.

Mylar comes in batts with an overleaf at each end to make a tighter air seal and preserve a water path.

If you are going to paint in your garage, you don't want overspray attaching itself to open fiberglasss insulation. You don't want the concussion from a compressor causing bits of fiberglass to fall from the ceiling onto your paint job. You also don't want to be breathing fiberglass particles. FYI, using wires is a pain in the .... neck.

Good luck!

Search this Thread