installing strofoam insulation

Old 02-03-09, 09:29 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
installing strofoam insulation

is there a certain way to install styrofoam insulation in my basement? right now i have just cinderblock walls with 2 coats of drylock

Old 02-03-09, 12:33 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
How old is your house? IS the block in good condition?

Why I ask is, we buoght a house in 05. It has cinderblock foundation. They had styrofoam on the walls. I found out that cinderblock is not the same as concrete block. Anyway, I tore all that off and found that the block was like falling apart. A guy told me that the moisture that was coming in from the outside was causing this. I had to scrape the walls, patch them and then I put a coat of dryloc on. So if you have moisture problem then be carefull.

Mine was attached by a massive shelving unit all the way around the wall!! No kidding. The people that owned it before us, did clay work and made things so they used the shelves as drying racks.

Would liquid nails work? Just a thought.
Good luck!

Old 02-03-09, 02:16 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the house was built in 1924 the blocks seem good, is it just cut glue and than sheetrock?

Old 02-04-09, 06:37 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Are you going to put drywall down there? If so, put up your styrofoam, then your studs, and sheetrock. The studs will hold your insulation in place! I am not a pro but seems to me, that would be fine! So you don't get any moisture down there at all?

Old 02-04-09, 06:50 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Before doing anything test the wall for moisture by taping a square of heavy clear (doesn't have to be crystal clear) plastic to the wall. Use a piece at least a foot square (bigger is better) and tape it all around to seal the edges. Wait at least 24 hours, or better yet, a week and see if any moisture collects under the plastic. If it does then you will first need to waterproof the walls. There are many different techniques for either waterproofing or collecting and draining away the water.

If you do not first deal with any moisture problem you will have a dandy breeding ground for mold.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: