Attic Insulation Shifting

Old 03-21-09, 10:15 AM
Attic Insulation Shifting

I just took a peak in my attic, and it appears that the insulation has shifted over the years, presumably as a result of air flowing in through the soffit vents. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I'm about to have some more insulation blown in the attic, and don't want this to happen again. I seem to remember there being some sort of vent that can be installed against the roof deck over each soffit vent so the air is directed upward towards the ridge vent.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-09, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, they are called soffit baffles. They should be long enough to extend above the insulation and out into the soffit. You typically block the space between the baffle and the top plate of your exterior wall by stuffing fiberglass insulation underneath it.

Old 03-21-09, 02:51 PM
Great. Thanks. Hopefully it won't be too expensive to get these installed. I only have about 16 or 17 soffit vents.

Old 03-28-09, 12:27 PM
Got a quote for attic insulation (R-55) with soffit vents installed for $450. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-28-09, 07:37 PM
Ideally, have each rafter bay baffled. Ask if they install a measured-stick before insulating, so you can verify thickness paid for after they are done. Use batt insulation on the attic access door, even weather-stripping it. Make sure your fan vents and skylights are wrapped as well. Tell them not to fill any soffit area with insulation. Try to get at least 3 bids, don't use the cheapest. Be safe, GBR

Old 03-28-09, 09:06 PM
I've used this company before. They cover everything you mentioned. Thanks for the advice.