Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wall Insulation Question...

CAL

03-29-09, 08:18 PM   #1  
Wall Insulation Question...

Alright i bought owens corning "exterior wall insulation" i bought the wrong size width but didnt realize it until i was halfway done i was supposed to buy the 15" wide not the 23" wide all laps are stapled down and there are no gaps but since it is wider then the space i was filling i had to smash and fold it in some spots due to it being the wrong size...my question is should i tear it all down and start over or is it reaaly a big deal that it is compressed a little in some spots? what are the cons of leaving it. im gonna return what i havent opened yet and buy the right size.

Sponsored Links

WA

03-29-09, 09:22 PM   #2  
I would think, because insulation works best not compressed, that it wouln't be very effective this way. If it was 7" wider, compress it, you would lose 46% from normal. I would remove it and use it in the attic, run it opposite of the existing. Or use it under the floor, or in a bathroom wall for sound control? On your attic access door? A bent, staple remover from an office store would expidite removal. Be safe, GBAR

ME

04-02-09, 01:27 PM   #3  
I have viewed walls such as you descride with an Infrared Camera and the results are not good, probably half or what you expect for R-value. Since you have discovered this before the sheetrock went up I would agree with GBR and say remove and do it right. Sorry

Bud

04-28-09, 07:50 AM   #4  
Yea do it again, no question.

Search this Thread