electric radiant floor heating

Old 04-01-09, 05:55 AM
electric radiant floor heating

Hi, has anyone used electric radiant floor heating as there sole source of home heating? If yes I would like to hear their opinion on this heating option. Also If the system they used emitted electromagnetic field emissions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-09, 01:39 PM
Hi oshaw, I've been watching but no one seems to have used electric for a whole house application. I've seen it mentioned for selected areas but not the entire home. Generally, heat is heat, and all homes require a certain amount depending upon their insulation. That heat can come from electric, gas, oil, wood, or other, the choice of which will affect the cost or ease of installation. As for radiant heat, it requires some special considerations just to work at all. If done wrong, search this forum, it can have terrible results in both cost and quality of heat.

As for electromagnetic field emissions, all electrical appliances emit some level of energy unless encased in some form of special shielding material, which to my knowledge radiant floor heat would not be.

Bud

Old 04-02-09, 02:39 PM
Thx for replying Bud. I am starting to talk to contractors. Some say it is a waste. Iguess I have to find on e who knows how to install it properly.

Old 04-04-09, 01:58 PM
I don't think it would necessarily be advisable to use electric radiant heating as the "sole" source of heating for a home, unless perhaps it's in an abundantly warm area like Arizona or Southern California. It can provide a good supplemental source of heat for a home and balances out the standard forced air heating systems. If you're looking for a good system, Warm Your Floor has several options depending on budget and necessity.

Old 04-04-09, 07:01 PM
any kind of radiant heat needs to be designed or (re-designed) from the floor up

your home needs to be insulated properly and thouroghly

you need to talk to a compnay that installs this kind of heat for a living and are experts at it

if you are talking "in floor radiant heat" you need insulation under your floor and up the inside of your footing and quite likley down the outside of your footing as well..otherwise your heat will be sucked right out of your floor and into the ground, the only thing heating up will be your electric meter

Old 04-05-09, 06:23 AM
Thx for the replies jfish and billie. I will take your reponses to heart. If i do use relectric radiant floor heating it will be on top of the floor.

Right now the house is using baseboard electric heating to heat the house.

Last edited by oshawajoe; 04-05-09 at 06:25 AM. Reason: wanting to add
Old 04-05-09, 10:50 AM
talk to some electric heat guys joe..there is a formula for how many feet of baseboard you have now as to how many BTU per hour you are recieving from them..and there is a max. amount of heat from the radiant floor heat as well...you will need to make sure your radiant floor can do the same or more than what you have now (if that is sufficent) youmay be told many different btu per hour numbers from the floor heat. i have heard from 15 to 40..so i would be careful what you use, that is why i say talk to a real pro. the ones i have talked to figure about 25 btu per square foot (that is from hot water) i have no clue about electric

i have also heard that electric in the ceiling may be a better choice if you have no insulation under your floors?
best advice i think you can have with this is...see a pro

good luck

Old 04-05-09, 03:42 PM
thx billie for the reponse> I will look into it before I make a decision.

Old 04-06-09, 03:36 PM
Electric Radiant

Hi.

I saw your post so I signed up to answer. Im an Electric Radiant Floor heating contractor. Ive been doing it for 15 years and have been associated with several of the major brands you see online.

Electric is seldom the proper choice for main heat. There are circumstances in which it can be the sole heat in specific zones. I do not recommend ceiling installation. It is best under stone of some sort with a higher R value beneath.

There are a lot of factors. If youd like to discuss your specific job (Im in Chicago so Im not trying to sell you installation) Feel free to email me at [email protected]

David Flinn

Old 04-07-09, 06:50 AM
Thank you Mr. Flinn for you response. I will take you uyp on your offer to ask questions in the future. Right now I am just looking at options.

Oshawajoe

Old 04-23-09, 06:06 PM
We have installed it ( look up Zmesh on the net) as the primary source of heat a few homes in entirety and in many additions and remodels. You must get a heat loss calculation performed to be sure what you plan to do will efficiently/effectively warm your space.

If you would like to talk/email any of our clients, email me and I'll forward the information. We can also talk at length about any of your questions or concerns. If you can have one of your most recent electric bils handy when we talk, we can also tell you the running costs of the system.

[email protected]