Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Where can one locally find 10 mil poly? 6 is all I can see.

Old 11-02-09, 10:51 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Home Depot and Lowes appear to stop at 6 mil poly, is that normal? I really want 10 and do not want to have to order it from somewhere. Home Depot definitely carries 10 but it definitely has to be ordered. What other kind of store would carry these? I only need 50 square feet or so.

Functionally I'm not sure if two layers of 6 under a slab would be equal to a single layer of 12 in terms of movement of water and gas vapors.

Old 11-02-09, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Never seen anybody stock 10mil in NC or VA.

Why 10mil? Code calls for 6mil under concrete here. But yea if there is a code calling for 10mil I would think 2 6mils would meet that and some.

Old 11-02-09, 01:10 PM
S
Originally Posted by Marlin1975
Never seen anybody stock 10mil in NC or VA.

Why 10mil? Code calls for 6mil under concrete here. But yea if there is a code calling for 10mil I would think 2 6mils would meet that and some.
I do believe code mostly calls for 6 mil but I found some article talking about its lack of protection vs 10, not just from a tearing-while-working-around-it perspective but also it doesn't limit vapor movement as effectively as it ought to. Whether it really matters or not I am not sure!

PS - Having AT Withdrawal?

Old 11-03-09, 03:44 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yea I would just do 2 6mils myself if you really want it. But unless you have water issues 6mil should be plenty. I over built a lot of stuff on my recent add-on and still only used 6mil under the concrete.

You know these Gov jobs, gotta do something to kill time.

Old 11-03-09, 04:54 AM
S
Originally Posted by Marlin1975
Yea I would just do 2 6mils myself if you really want it. But unless you have water issues 6mil should be plenty. I over built a lot of stuff on my recent add-on and still only used 6mil under the concrete.

You know these Gov jobs, gotta do something to kill time.
I think I will double just for fun. Seriously nowhere sells 10 mil. I could probably find a huge roll of it if I didn't mind paying, but that's just money in the toilet probably.

I may place some thin bits of foam here and there underneath the plastic so that when I step on it it's not cutting straight into gravel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: