unfinished basement ceiling insulation

Old 11-14-09, 06:22 AM
unfinished basement ceiling insulation

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to insulate the ceiling of my unfinished basement in my laundry room / office. My goal is mostly for noise/sound insulation as there is a bathroom directly above the laundry room / office. It doesn't need to be perfectly quiet, but right now you can hear everything happening above. I'd also like to muffle the sounds of the washer and dryer for the upstairs.

The house is a 1928 cape and the ceiling is joists with a ton of ducts and pipes as you might imagine. I was about to fill it with faced fiberglass batts until I read that it might be against building code to leave the facing paper exposed if it was on the basement (down) side. I do need to have some way to keep slivers of fiberglass falling on me when I'm in the laundry room and I'm not interested in putting up drywall for the ceiling -- way too many ducts and pipes...

In another forum someone mentioned a poly or mesh-based barrier they put over unfaced fiberglass batts. Something like that or other options would be fine, although I don't see how that's much less of a fire hazard. Or, I might just go with the faced batts anyway, if I can't find another suitable / cost effective option.

Any experience or thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-09, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
Unfaced bats will fiction fit between your joists and stay there without much problem. If you do find the bats are falling, you could add some thin pieces of wood to hold them up. The fiberglass slivers will not come off unless disturbed. Paper faced bats would be a waste of money. Poly and a stapler would be your best bet if you wanted to cover it.

Old 11-15-09, 07:46 AM
Thanks. That would be easier -- wondering if leaving the poly exposed would be against building code also?

I just noticed on this site there's a video called "How to soundproof a ceiling". It looks like he's using some sort of fiberglass batts that are pre-wrapped in poly?

Does anyone know the name of that product?

I could see using that alone, without the rest of the steps in the video.

Old 11-15-09, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
This the the one I know of: http://www.jmhomeowner.com/products/...t=ComfortTherm which can be found at most big box stores that carry that brand. Other manufactures may have similar products but I have not researched any of them.