More attic insulation problems

Old 11-20-09, 08:11 AM
More attic insulation problems

I have posted several pictures to help with your comments/recommendations.

They will show where my furnace vent enters into the attic, what is was like before and what I have done so far in order to solve a big heat loss problem. Also I believe the leaking of the hot air is causing some of the wetness problems I have.

So please tell me if what I am doing is o.k. so far.

Also please tell me if I should tape the seams and around the bottom of the connections. And can I just tape around the bottom of the pipe where it comes thru the ceiling as I cannot get any caulk to stay and keep from falling thru the ceiling.

When I was up there taking these pictures the aluminum was warm to the touch. Is it o.k. to put fiberglass in direct contact with the vent?

Sorry to be a pest, just being a new guy. But I'm 63 years old and disabled, and have a lot of time and no money. All your help is greatly appreciated and maybe my questions can be of help to someone else.

Pictures by crater22_2009 - Photobucket

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-09, 03:16 PM
i would get a piece of sheet metal flashing say 18"x 18",draw & cut the needed diamater hole in center.
cut from edge to hole, bend just enough to fold around pipe.
use another piece of the tin to make a collar 6" high or so-to keep insulation off vent pipe.
if you can find some foil/metal tape at the hardware store to cover the seams-would be better than duct tape

Old 11-21-09, 04:35 AM
Originally Posted by newtofta View Post
i would get a piece of sheet metal flashing say 18"x 18",draw & cut the needed diamater hole in center.
cut from edge to hole, bend just enough to fold around pipe.
use another piece of the tin to make a collar 6" high or so-to keep insulation off vent pipe.
if you can find some foil/metal tape at the hardware store to cover the seams-would be better than duct tape
Thanks for the great idea. Would you put the new sheet metal over the flange material I have already put down or would you remove it before put down the new sheet metal?

Also, how should I secure the collar?

Thanks again...

Old 11-21-09, 08:43 PM
'i' think you could brush the surface clean enough to put your patch ,with a hole over the existing surface.
get a $1.00 pack of #4 x1/2" sheet metal screws & a socket that will fit your drill-use to secure the patch plate-make 3" long x1" strips of flashing tin.bend to a (L) use to fasten colar to patch plate.
?make any sense to you?

Old 11-22-09, 03:05 PM
It appears you have a wood stove vent pipe through the attic and roof. The smaller smooth pipe (6") that goes into the bigger (8") pipe at the ceiling is called double walled. Metal at the ceiling line is a good idea for a fire-stop from the chase below to the attic above (and required). You don't need a collar as insulation can be stuffed into the gaps there at the double pipe, the one with the twist locks on each segment lenght. This pipe can touch fiberglass insulation since wood burns at about 260* and fiberglass does not burn but melts at 2500*. I would not add the baffle, only the flat tin fire-stop.
Be safe, Gary