condensation along baseboards

Old 12-06-09, 03:32 PM
condensation along baseboards

I have a laundry room that is on the north side of my house. I have a dryer vent valve connected to the dryer that can either direct the dryer air to the outside dryer vent, or out of the dryer valve to heat the laundry room, as I do not have any HVAC present in my laundry room. I noticed today that when my dryer was running, that on the north wall on the baseboard trim, that it had a good amount of condensation on it. My dryer is in the southeast corner of the room, but the dryer vent valve is lying on the floor. Would the hot dryer air be the reason for the condensation on this one wall, or could it be the lack of a vapor barrier?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-09, 04:25 PM
Try running it by blowing venting the dryer to the outside. I'm sure that would tell which way to go.

Keeping mind that the hot air coming out of the dryer has a lot of moisture in it. So it could very well be that. If you have a gas dryer, you shouldn't be venting it inside.

Old 12-06-09, 05:49 PM
no, it is an electric dryer

Old 12-06-09, 06:06 PM
Due to modern day paranoia over mold, and it's not all paranoia, venting a dryer inside your home would be bad. That's just an awful lot of moisture in generally a small room. In your case it is pointing out the cold area along your baseboard, but what you can't see is how much is seeping into your walls, ceiling, and other areas where it can start a problem you don't want to get into.

IMO, ditch the switch and vent only to the outside. The best way to correct a mold problem is don't let it get started in the first place.

Bud

Old 12-07-09, 07:01 PM
so you think its the fault of the vent, but not the fault of a vapor barrier not being present?