Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

attic vents

SD

12-06-09, 03:49 PM   #1  
attic vents

I live in a 1 1/2 story home, which has several crawl spaces on the 2nd floor that would be considered as the "attic". This summer, when I moved into the house, I noticed that the 2nd floor was extremely hot. Once I walked around the outside of the house, I only noticed 2 attic vents on the vertical walls of the house, and I have not verified that these are even venting at all. I would probably need to install several attic vents to correct this problem. Any thoughts or suggestions on a rule of thumb for a quantity of vents, and the type of vents to use? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links

NJ

12-06-09, 04:15 PM   #2  
I lived in a 1 1/2 story house all my life. I can tell you the reason it is so hot is because of the close proximity of the roof to the living space. I doubt you could ventilate it enough to stop that heat from radiating into the house.

ME

12-06-09, 06:19 PM   #3  
drooplug is on the right track. It can be vented, but the space normally available, a 2x6, leaves little room for 1 to 2 inches of gap for air flow and then enough for insulation. You don't get any cold weather up there do you .

First check out those gable vents to see if they are functional. They are the upper vents. Then look for lower vents, usually under the eaves, if you have them. Again, check to see if they are open to the outside.

Then take a look at the insulation going up those sloped walls. You can usually look up from inside those side attics. Is the space stuffed full, empty, or just a small gap?

Here is a link to help you understand how side attics and sloped walls are insulated.
Welcome To Home Energy Magazine Online

There are other solutions, but none are simple. I own a cape with those blasted sloped cavities.

Bud

SD

12-07-09, 07:12 PM   #4  
well, the weather does get quite cold up here. It is single digit temps right now. I will have to verify the top attic vents to see if they are open or not. I know for certain that there are not any vents in the eaves. The side attics are roghly 3 feet tall at the peak, then they go down from there. The side attics have insulation in the trusses, and they are quite full, the actual side attics do not have any insulation in them, if that makes sense. One section of the house has a top attic that runs across a portion of the first floor. Again, the trusses are full of insulation as well, but I do not think that this section has gable vents either. Is this information helpful?

Search this Thread