walkin cooler type insulated walls

Old 12-09-09, 04:31 PM
walkin cooler type insulated walls

I am going to build a home made egg incubator that can be walked into. A walk in cooler or freezer would be perfect. However I'm not having any luck finding a used one at a good price. Does anyone know what I could use to get a high R value for walls, ceiling, and floor to build my own box about 4'x6' thought baout spray foam but r value doesn't seem high. This room will be left kept at 100 degrees and don't want to pay high heat bills. Can you help???

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-09, 04:38 PM
Rigid foam may work better for building a box and it is less expensive that spray foam. Will this structure be outside where it needs framing, walls, and roof? Or just inside another building where you could glue the rigid together to form what you want.

Inside or outside will tell us how much insulation is needed.

Bud

Old 12-09-09, 04:55 PM
It is going inside a large shed so it will not be exposed to the weather. I thought about rigid foam if it is the 4x8 sheets that are like 1/2" thick. They only have like a 4-6 R factor? I would have to use 6 together wouldn't I?

Would like around R30

Old 12-09-09, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Closed cell foam that is used to insulate foundations is R-5/inch.
A 3 1/2" wall will give you R-17.5, 5 1/2" would be 27.5.
That is pretty much what spray is but much cheaper.

Old 12-09-09, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Greg,
Closed cell is closer to R-7 per inch.

Old 12-09-09, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Using a regular 2x4 stud wall will hold r19 insulation, so it is pretty much the same isn't it? A walkm in cooler has like R36 with a 3" wall, how do they achieve this? Thanks...

Old 12-10-09, 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by todrut View Post
Using a regular 2x4 stud wall will hold r19 insulation, so it is pretty much the same isn't it? A walkm in cooler has like R36 with a 3" wall, how do they achieve this? Thanks...
They use Closed cell foam.

Old 12-10-09, 05:20 AM
A walkm in cooler has like R36 with a 3" wall, how do they achieve this? When you find out let us know, R=12 per inch would be GOOD stuff . If you go with Airman's foil faced polyisocyanurate (the yellow stuff at the big box), 2 two inch layers with foil facing in and out, you get 4X r=7 plus you can fudge two lyaers of foil adding r=2 each. That's 28 plus 4 or R=32 for a 4" wall. That's stretching it pretty much to the max, so those 3" cooler walls are below r=20 with the rest added for advertising.

Now, if you want 100 degrees inside and have an average 50 degrees outside, for a 4'x6' box, we just need to know if the floor will be the same and the height of the walls and we can tell you what it will cost to keep heated. I assume electric heat, so give us your electric rate, so many cents per KW.

That's height of wall, electric rate, and will the floor be the same?

Bud

Old 12-10-09, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Just for future reference..in case you hadn't seen this before..http://www.warmfloor.com/english/han...0Materials.pdf

Old 12-10-09, 11:28 AM
Going to be 6.5' tall and the floor will be the same or close. The kwhr rate is .0836

So am I hearing correctly? I should use 2 sheets with aluminum and one sheet bare and glue these 3 sheets together with the aluminum on the outside? Using Yellow Board?

Now, will I be able to glue this all together as a box with no studs or anything to support? The floor will need to be strong enough to hold people walking, tables, and a large metal turner(3'x3').
Thanks Guys, this help has been benificial to my project...