insulating glass shutters

Old 12-14-09, 11:44 PM
Question insulating glass shutters

Hello,

we live in a cabin that has 3 good sized glass shutter windows that leak a considerable amount of heat and let lots of cold air in. we have tried hanging heavy curtains to help with the problem and it helped a little but we are still losing too much heat in my opinion through these windows. I had an idea to buy some insulation and make pillows that we can stuff into the recesses to create a barrier between our home and the windows/outside.

i was wondering if anyone has any other ideas for dealing with a problem like this? does anyone have experience with glass shutters and attempting to make them seal better? Also what kind of insulation would be best to use for what i am planning on doing? my girlfriend will be making the "pillow" casings for the insulation, should we considering lining the insulation with plastic liner to avoid moisture being absorbed into the insulation?

any and all help is much appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-09, 04:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

What's a shutter window? Do mean jalousies?

A pic might help;
http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

IMO a storm window would be a better fix.

Old 12-15-09, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Welcome to the forums!

What's a shutter window? Do mean jalousies?

A pic might help;
http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

IMO a storm window would be a better fix.
thanks for the reply, yes the windows i am talking about are jalousies. i agree that storm windows would be the best way to go, but we live in california where its only "cold" for 2 months out of the year and we dont own the cabin so the cost is also a factor.

We are mainly looking for something that can block or catch the cold draft and help keep some of the warmth in the room.

thanks for your suggestion and keep em coming!

Old 12-15-09, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sometimes renters will use clear plastic to create a simulated storm window on the inside.

Old 12-15-09, 10:04 AM
Yes, I agree with marksr. Just watched some going up. The heat shrinkable plastic films look transparent once applied. Clean the surface well before applying the double sided tape. They will provide an extra air gap and block the air leakage. Very common here in the NE

Bud