Kitchen cabinet soffit

Old 12-21-09, 07:13 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen cabinet soffit

I was up in the attic attempting to seal all of the can lights, conduit, plumbing, etc. above the kitchen. While I was up there, I noticed that the soffit above the kitchen cabinets was open to the attic. The builder attempted to staple kraft backed insulation over these openings, but this obviously didn’t work. The insulation above the soffit is extremely dirty. Is it best to fill the soffit with insulation, or seal the top of it and insulate over that?

How do I go about sealing off this area, and insulating it? I was thinking about putting some drywall between the rafters, and sealing the edges with Great Stuff. I’ve also thought about stapling a large plastic sheet over the opening, and then insulating above that. The rest of the attic doesn’t have a moisture barrier. Would this cause a problem?

My kitchen stays 6 - 10 degrees colder than the rest of the house during the winter. My December project is to remedy this situation.

Old 12-21-09, 07:42 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Cabinet Soffit

Congratulations. You have found the reason your kitchen is colder than the remainder of the house.

I would use the drywall and Great Stuff. If you remodel later, install the drywall on the ceiling from the kitchen as it should have been done originally. Be sure to add insulation on top of the drywall to match the remainder of the attic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: