USA Insulation or similar reviews???

Old 01-04-10, 04:22 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
USA Insulation or similar reviews???

I have a brick ranch house built in 1955. Typical Brick on block construction with the air space in between. Walls are very cold to touch in the winter so I got to looking and heard of a local company call USA Insulation.

I did a quick search for reviews and found some mixed reviews.

Curious if anyone out there has used this company or a similar product where they pump in foam into the exterior walls.

Looking for reviews, good and bad!

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-04-10, 05:00 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Here is a good article on vapor barriers, specifically illustrating brick construction. It may help.

Bud
BSD-106: Understanding Vapor Barriers —

Old 01-04-10, 07:25 PM
E
Interesting article but not sure howit applies to me looking at better insulation. There is no material that I am aware of between teh outside brick and inner block.

My walls must loose a ton of heat, as they have no insulation. Should I be looking at an alternative insulation?

Old 01-04-10, 07:29 PM
E
Basically you are saying this type of insulation will hinder the vapor barrier in my house as it sits...

Old 01-05-10, 06:52 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
That is what it is saying. The gap is supposed to be there to allow drying. Your choice is to consider adding insulation to the inside wall surface and refinishing. If someone can point to an approved and tested way to insulate that gap, I'd be interested as well. Concerns are long term and once filled with foam it would be a real problem removing if things turned sour. I'm not trying to be negative, it is just that these foam people feel they can spray that stuff anywhere they want. We have HUGE research facilities that have been aware of your situation for many years and well aware that foam would fill the gap. But they are not saying that is a good solution and that is what the article is trying to point out.

However, that gap is usually filled with debris from the construction and only 1/2 to 3/4" wide. To risk deterioration of the brick work for only an r=4 insulation is a difficult choice. You said blocks. Are they hollow? When they are hollow, they are sometimes filled with vermiculite, perlite, or foam beads for some insulation. I'll give you a project. Here is a link to a mfg of the above and some information on how they can be used. It is part of my research to try to find a solution to yours and similar problems, but I have not completed or drawn any conclusions. So read away and let me know if you see any stated application for their products in filling that space.
SCHUNDLER COMPANY CONSTRUCTION USES OF PERLITE AND VERMICULITE

I'll check back
Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: