Split - Will Reflectix help?

Old 01-07-10, 07:54 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Split - Will Reflectix help?

I have a split level home on Long Island. I was thinking of adding insulation when I came upon a product called Reflectix.

I was thinking of lining the inside of the roof with it.

Will it help my home?

In the Summer only?

I currently have cellulose insulation but the attic space gets really hot and I can feel it coming in through the recessed light fixtures.

Upstairs always feels colder in the winter and hotter in the summer adn I am looking to improve things as mucha s I can.

Thanks

Frank

Old 01-30-10, 12:02 AM
K
sort of a late reply im new here but im 1/2 done installing reflectix in my attic (CA) via stapling it underside the roof.
I was up adding more sheets this week on a hot sunny day and I could feel the heat on the relfectix. iam a believer in it.. more for a radiant barrior then anything else. if the sun is beating down on your place then I would definately recommend it.

Old 01-30-10, 12:16 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Fly2High and kindest. Ca is a lot different than Long Island. When in cold country you need to avoid a vapor barrier above the insulation, especially if there are air leaks. Wrapping a house in plastic will make it warmer, but it will also destroy the house.

If you need a RB buy one, but don't fall for the exagerated claims of the foil bubble foil. That's probably why he did not get a response, because people are tired of answering questions about their claims. If it looks too good to be true, yada, yada.

Bud

Old 01-30-10, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
It appears you have a problem with your vapor barrier and not enough insulation.

Yes, radiant barrier is a product where many manufacturers and dealers overstate the benefits it can provide.
It does have a use in some applications but for most people with overheated attics they will only effectively solve this problem by increasing ventilation, fixing the vapor barrier and increasing insulation levels.

This topic has been beaten to death in these forums because it attracts many who depend on misinformation as a source of income.
Here are 200 previous threads on this topic.

Last edited by GregH; 01-30-10 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-30-10, 07:19 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I will agree with Greg. The biggest draw back is once you get a small layer of dust ( one year) on it the reflectiveness of it is cut by 3/4. What happens is the dust holds the heat so it heats up instead of reflecting the heat. This is why I like the paint better.

Old 02-11-10, 01:01 PM
C
Originally Posted by GregH
Yes, radiant barrier is a product where many manufacturers and dealers overstate the benefits it can provide.
It does have a use in some applications but for most people with overheated attics they will only effectively solve this problem by increasing ventilation, fixing the vapor barrier and increasing insulation levels.

This topic has been beaten to death in these forums because it attracts many who depend on misinformation as a source of income.
Here are 200 previous threads on this topic.
I just came upon this thread and cannot get the 200 responses to open. I am very curious about this product as I have already installed several rows of it to my floor joists in the crawl space (leaving some insulation alone that was there). I was hoping it would help control the cold air. I also used it to insulate all my duct work and the plenum. Did I just waste a lot of money? In all honesty it did seem to help, where if I have it installed.......

Old 02-11-10, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
We seem to be having a problem with out search function.
Try this.

You really don't give enough much info but.......

If you have a cold crawl space, applying radiant barrier to the underside will do very little for you.
If you installed it up against the underside of the floor you will have almost no effect beyond the R value of the foam core if it has one.
If stapled to span the joists it will trap some air and offer a small improvement not not so much.

Filling the space with fiberglass bat insulation will give you the best barrier to the cold if this is your problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: