Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Spray Poly foam?

PA

01-13-10, 01:11 PM   #1  
Spray Poly foam?

Has anyone had any experience with SPF? I know it's a newer product but I don't see much prevalence in it's use in my area (mid-atlantic area).

After two or three other projects, I am redoing my basement. It's a block foundation and I will be tearing down a center wall that separates a garage and basement to expand the living area down there. (installing a steel beam to replace the block)

I have been looking for some serious insulation options and have researched this product. It looks good in the sense of application, use, and efficiency. It seems to be on the pricey side ($1 a square ft.) but then I can forgo other steps by using this product. I was told a vapor barrier is not needed after using the spray. Is this true? I'm a big fan of overkill when it doesn't use up space.

I plan to start work in this project around March, April.

Anyone?

Sponsored Links

ME

01-13-10, 03:22 PM   #2  
I wouldn't call spray polyurethane foam new, unless there is a formulation different from what has been used for the past 20 plus years. Due to the energy costs, the more expensive product is becoming more widely used as it is more cost effective against the higher fuel costs. Also, the cost per sq. ft needs to define a thickness as well. At one inch that would be a board foot and $1.00 to $3.00 are prices I have heard of.

For basements, it may be just as easy to glue rigid insulation directly against the block walls. Here is a link that reviews finishing a basement and it shows the rigid option.
BSD-103: Understanding Basements —

Bud

PA

01-13-10, 07:05 PM   #3  
Awesome stuff Bud! THNX!

Search this Thread