Double pane window help

Old 01-20-10, 02:23 PM
Double pane window help

Hi
I have a double window at the head of my bed, you can feel the cold air coming through it somewhere, so last year I replaced the windows with double pane that I was told would be the best to help stop this issue, it probably helped 20%, there is still lots of air or cold that comes through them, I calked them as good as I could when we installed them, I don't want to tape them up if there is some other method or something that will help.
Can't post an attachment or I would a photo, oh well.
Thanks for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-10, 02:58 PM
Hi cj, and welcome to the world of windows. Even good ones will leak some air and all will be cold enough at the surface so cold air will cascade down off of them. The ones that are rated as good as your walls cost more than an entire wall.

If you used fiberglass around the frame during installation, some air will seep through. You can test them with smoke, via an incense stick or other source.

The path to reducing the draft and effects of the cold are curtains, drapes, or shrink plastic. You simply need more layers.

I test them for customers with a chemical smoke I use and the air is just falling off of them. So much so that it acts just like a leak. Different styles leak more than others, but that choice is gone. The shrink plastic is effective invisible once installed and the folks who use it love it.

I just checked where you are and you certainly shouldn't be having the problems we experience up here in the north country. This is shirt sleeve weather and it's 29.

Try just taping something over it for a night and see if that helps. It will give you an idea as to what can be gained. I have created deep window sills and plan to add inside insulated inserts that can be installed and removed as needed. And I have brand new windows.

Bud

Old 01-20-10, 07:01 PM
Thanks Bud...
It's been in the 30's here...(long sleeve weather for Florida) these windows are "low-E" and the only thing low about them is the temp they have been letting threw, after reading your reply, it might not be leaking as much as the cascading effect, anyway I thought about trying some insulation board and then tape that so I don't have to the windows...just a thought.

BTW: where do you put the shrink plastic, I assume you refer to the stuff you cover food with?

Thanks!

Old 01-21-10, 05:44 AM
The shrink wrap stuff is applied with double sided tape around the perimeter/frame. You have to have a good clean surface, then apply the plastic and use a hair dryer to shrink it to a transparent film. I've seen windows I had to walk up to to determine if the plastic was still there.

I didn't think about Florida, as they might not be as accustom to selling the stuff there, but if you can't find it in the stores, it is available online. It comes in kits for a couple of windows.

Bud

Search this Thread