Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Air leaking into the home through outlets.

NE

02-15-10, 12:11 PM   #1  
Air leaking into the home through outlets.

You can feel the air coming in form the light switches and outlets. I bought some gaskets for the plates and installed them. The air is still coming in. I put some expanding foam installation around the boxes and put the gasket on. Air still comes though the actual switch. No air is coming out anymore around the switch plate, it is just coming through the actual light switch or electrical outlet holes. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

NC

02-16-10, 05:55 AM   #2  
Some of the gasket kits also come with plugs that prevent air flow through the outlet itself. They look like child-proof plugs. Ace carries them (Ace Electrical Outlet Seal Pack).

Ace Electrical Outlet Seal Pack (1062/Ah) - 5 Pack - Door / Window Weatherstrip - Ace Hardware

They are somewhat of a pain to remove when you actually need the outlet, so I don't recommend using them on outlets you use often.

A more comprehensive solution is to switch to airtight boxes.

Finally, preventing the air from traveling through the wall in the first place would be the ultimate solution.

Good luck! MM

TX

02-16-10, 07:34 AM   #3  
air leaks in outlets...

If your home is pier and beam (no slab foundation) and has a crawl space under the house, check where the wall studs terminate from under the house. In many older homes the wall space between the studs is left open to the under house crawl space, and air can move freely into the walls. You can pack this space with insulation and reduce draft.

OH

02-16-10, 09:15 AM   #4  
I "messed up" some insulation in the walls when I was snaking a ground wire behind the outlet in my house. To fill the air gaps, I used a can of foam and stuck the straw through the outlet box and filled the the air cavities I made behind the boxes with foam (not inside the outlet box. That did the trick for me.

03-14-10, 07:34 PM   #5  
There are a few ways to correct this problem. You did not give enough info about the structure for any one to give you an accurate answer.

So I would suggest having an energy audit performed by a BPI auditor who is part of the HPwES program.

Also, fiberglass insulation is a thermal barrier ( it stops the transfer of heat).

It is NOT an air barrier.

Search this Thread