Insulating Kitchen

Old 02-18-10, 08:19 AM
Insulating Kitchen

The house was built in 1968 and has 2X4 exterior walls with brick exterior. Our kitchen walls are very cold. My intention is to remove all kitchen cabinets and interior drywall and install 2X2 to existing studs and replace old insulation with R20 and 6 mil vapour barrier and new drywall. Would this solve the problem or is there a better way?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-10, 09:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! It would allow you to install additional insulation, but I would check for air infiltration and stop it while I had the walls down. Air can really cause a room to become cold quickly. If you decide to add the depth to the walls, make sure your cabinet returns, door facings, window facings, etc can accept the additional depth, or be prepared to add jamb extensions where necessary.

Old 02-18-10, 11:38 AM
To add to Chandlers suggestions, if you have drops over your upper cabinets, they are often framed out before the sheetrock goes up. That invites air flow where it should not be, called a thermal bypass. Plumbing access under the cabinets do the same.

As for 2" and the current recommendation of R-20 or so walls, that is with today's energy costs. Last December you would have installed twice that. Next December is yet to be determined.

I have a 1970 house with 3 1/2" walls and I'm adding 3 1/2" of extra insulation. Overkill by some peoples standards, but it is much easier now than doing the whole job over again.

Whatever you choose, take a look at "Roxul", just add the ".com". It sure looks impressive and could give better results for the space.

Bud

Search this Thread