Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulating existing walls

02-20-10, 08:33 AM   #1  

I want to insulate 2 existing, finished, outer walls in my garage. I want to cut 2"-4" holes in each open bay, at about 6 inches from the top of wall. Then blow-in cellulose until filled, and patch holes. I was told, by a very young man at hardware store, that I should't do that b/c the insulation will settle down to the bottom. I don't want to remove half or all of the inner walls to insulate, what are my options? I still think the blown in cellulose will work and the young man was mistaken, but the idea of it happening brings me here for advice.
Another thought was to remove 2' of drywall from top of each wall (full legnth) and try to work down the wall each piece of bat insulation, then replace drywall. Has anyone out there ever tried to work down insulation in an existing wall? What are my options here without removing entire wall to insulate??
Another note; the outer side of each of these walls are brick, and one walls has elect. outlet about center, and the other wall has 2 windows 3'x7'

Sponsored Links

NJ

02-20-10, 02:07 PM   #2  
If you try to stuff batts into the walls, you will just compress them and they won't work very well.

You want to dense pack the cellulose. That will minimize settling issues. You should also use two holes. I forget the exact location of the holes, but one maybe about 3' up from the bottom and the other near the top of the wall. The holes need to be the size of the hose that gets inserted into them. I had this down to my first floor and I am happy with it. Check out this link: How to Retrofit Cellulose Insulation | Video | Insulation | This Old House

There is also slow rise foam that you can put into the wall. It will be at least twice as expensive as the cellulose.

02-22-10, 10:48 AM   #3  

OK drooplug, thanks for the info and video. Was wondering if I could get by with only one hole at top? Is the 2 hole procedure the way to get the cellulose dence packed? I will get started soon and report back later.

NJ

02-22-10, 06:16 PM   #4  
I'm not sure about the dense pack portion of it. But the two holes allow you to fill the entire cavity more easily. Especially if there is any type of blocking in the stud bay which can be common. You can do this from the interior of the home as well. I think they may make pre-made drywall plugs. I know they make the wooden plugs. Don't know where to get them off hand. I'm sure wherever you get your supplies and equipment from should be able to help.

02-23-10, 06:15 PM   #5  
Did you consider the pellets? I've heard there are pellets that space themselves and utilize gravity better than celulose.

PS, any chance the cuts in the wall can be kept to the very top and covered by trim/molding?

Search this Thread