Electrical Supply Box - Cellulose Insulation

Old 03-08-10, 04:23 PM
Electrical Supply Box - Cellulose Insulation

Hey guys,

So despite looking, I cannot quite find an answer to the question of whether one can allow the blown-in type of insulation in an attic space to 'touch' the electrical supply box of a light fixture in the living space below.

This is definitely not a Recessed Light or 'POT' fixture which most questions seem to be about, this is just your good old fashioned electrical box in the ceiling with a light fixture attached to it from the room below. I can see that the wires going into the box are securely clamped, so is it okay to allow the insulation to flow around and over the box?

Obviously I am trying to prevent air leaks, but will the insulation create a hazard.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dellguy1971

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-10, 05:43 PM
You will be fine.

Needed more characters.

Old 03-09-10, 10:46 AM
Thanks drooplug,

Here's a few more

Old 03-09-10, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
To make the box even tighter you can cover the holes of the box with expanding foam. You don't want to get it inside the box, just enough to cover the holes.

Old 03-09-10, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
I swear one time I saw some sort of adhesive foam film (kinda like a thin flexible mouse pad) that had an air sealing function...but I can't find it anywhere on the net. Prob on that darn Canadian show...lol

Old 03-09-10, 06:44 PM
How big was it? There is that pipe wrap which might be what you saw or something similar to it.

Old 03-10-10, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
It was a flexible stretchy self adhesive or self adhering sheet..may have been cut off a larger roll..but it was easily big enough to cover a triple gang box. You could always just add another piece if you needed to.

It was sort of like window and door sealing tape..only more of a cellular foam instead of rubber. And it wasn't sticky like an adhesive tape...more like self vulcanizing rubber tape for sealing exterior cable and antenna connectors..if you are familiar with that...

I'm going to keep looking.....

Ahhhh It may have been this..or something very similar....http://www.contractorstoolsupply.com...ad-p-2525.html

Not cheap by any means.....

Old 03-14-10, 07:07 AM
Just saw Holmes on Homes using this.

SounDivide - QuietPutty Product Info

Old 03-14-10, 08:06 PM
If you have modern electric, insulation contact is no problem with boxes. It won't stop the air leaks and no hazard involved.

Insulation is a thermal barrier not an air barrier. If you want to stop the air flow use foam at all of your building envelope penetrations.