Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

insulation in basement ceiling

NJ

03-11-10, 09:29 AM   #1  
insulation in basement ceiling

Hi I am putting up sheetrock in my basement ceiling and was going to add fiberglass batting in the ceiling to deaden the sound a bit. I know it only helps a little but that's ok. I'm not sure how to install it as I get mixed opinions. Can it be loose laid to float on furrow stips (already exist from old ceiling) or should it be stapled to rafters or directly to above (floor from 1st floor).
Is there any disadvantages to adding insulation to ceiling ie. moisture mold etc? I really don't know much about this stuff and appreciate your advice.
Thank you

Sponsored Links

NJ

03-13-10, 07:45 AM   #2  
Thermal Moisture Dynamics explains how moisture behaves at different temperature. Your concern has to do with "Dew Point Temperature" and seeing that your basement is going to be partially finished it is highly unlikely that Dew Point Temperature will ever be reached in your basement ceiling. So putting insulation in your floor joists regardless of the type, vapor barrier or not will not cause a moisture problem.

You are correct that the insulation will have little effect over sound transmittance, a drop ceiling would have a considerable more effect. I suggest you search for other options on-line. Such as furring strips attached to your joists then the sheet rock would have a better effect with sound transmittance than the insulation. There are a lot of ways of doing this, then choose the one that best meets your needs.

Search this Thread