Home remodel advice

Old 03-18-10, 12:31 AM
Home remodel advice

Before I found out about this site I embarked on a project of remodeling my parents 1800 sf 2 level home. I did a remarkable job, if I may say so, to the eye. However, I am now worried after viewing several threads and also looking at many home shows about the conditions I can not see. I did all the work myself with my best friend with the exception of electrical.
The first floor was gutted and the second floor was not.
The home in question was built in 1960 with old plaster walls on the interior side and on the outside their is wood all the way around the perimeter, with 2 layer's of siding.
I have removed all the interior walls on the first floor and finished with 1/2" sheetrock and R19 insulation. It has been over 5 years since the remodel has been completed and I see no problems, but now I have questions? Forgive me for the ignorance of not knowing before diving into the remodel.
Questions?
1. Vapor barrier?
2. Sheetrock size correct or incorrect?

I thought I would bring my parents into the 21st century know I feel like I let them down. Please advise.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-10, 04:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You say you used R-19, were the walls constructed with 2x6s? If you crammed 6" insulation into a 4" space - you loose some of the insulation properties

1/2" drywall is fine - it's the industry standard for walls.

How important a plastic vapor barrier is depends a lot on location. In some parts of the country you can't get by without it while in other locations the paper face of the insulation is enough vapor barrier.

I wouldn't worry about it, you did the best you knew how and surely it's better than it was before you started