insulation on wall

Old 04-11-10, 09:47 AM
insulation on wall

I would like to know how I can insulate my ex.wall. When I took out the plaster there was insulation and then the brick . Some one removed the felt board that was there.I would like to put #3/4 pink insulation then 3 1/2 glass insulation then a plastic barrier.I have 4" 2/4 studs not 3 1/2 but will this be right for the moisture barrier

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-10, 02:27 PM
If you have a brick exterior, the link below may help.
BSD-106: Understanding Vapor Barriers —

Bud

Old 04-12-10, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
If you have a brick exterior, the link below may help.
BSD-106: Understanding Vapor Barriers —

Bud
So Bud If I got this right.I should forget the vapor barrier and leave a gap between the brick and the pink insulation maybe a wood strip

Old 04-12-10, 12:58 PM
When it comes to this type of construction, my experience is near zero, so if you read the article, you are ahead of me, as it has been awhile since I read the whole article. The importand factors are minimizing the vapor barrier properties and maintaining the air gap so the inside of the brick can dry. The difficulty is that most people are working from the inside, when their details were all applied from the outside. That missing felt board was probably the sheathing and you can't re-install it now that the brick is in place.

My best advice was directing you to the article. Beyond that I would be guessing. The only other concern I have with yours and all brick homes, is acheiving enough insulation. I don't buy the thermal mass arguement, so you are left with an R-14 or less wall in Wisconsin. That's half of what I think you should have. R-21 is what they want you to shoot for, but this isn't like rolling out another 6" of insulation in an attic. This is something you want to do and not have to adjust every time the price of energy goes up. They do have DIY spray foam and for a small project like this it would not be that bad.

Bud