Can anyone identify this insulation?

Old 04-11-10, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can anyone identify this insulation?

I was looking into upping the insulation in the attic of my circa 1948 Ranch style house. An insulation contractor was looking around in there and told me he had no idea what the current insulation up there is. I looked around at pictures on various web sites and I thought it sort of looks like loose-fill rock wool, but since it is both white and yellow, I'm not sure.

The house was built in 1948, but has had 2 additions put on since then. This loose fill is in the entire attic, so it isn't the original insulation. I don't really know when it was installed though.

Here's a few pictures. I hope someone can tell me what the contractor couldn't. Thanks for looking. Beer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-10, 04:50 AM
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
I have run into the term "chopped fiberglass" and what you have does appear to have a mixture of different products. If you can convince yourself that none of those products are asbestos, then moving forward is easy. There are labs that can test for asbestos, and given todays histeria, it would be good to have a certificate saying it is definitely NOT such.

My other concern is that it looks rather dirty and dirt is food for mold. Plus the dust from what is there is something I certainly would not want to breathe.

I would get it tested and consider getting rid of it. Would you buy a home with that in the attic?

Bud