Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page > Vapor Barrier and Insulation install in my outside Wall in Bathroom

Vapor Barrier and Insulation install in my outside Wall in Bathroom

Old 05-02-10, 06:05 PM
Vapor Barrier and Insulation install in my outside Wall in Bathroom

Hey All...

I am redoing my bathroom and I have pulled all the required permits for my DIY project.

I have pulled R-11 Insulation that was behind the tile wall in the tub shower stall. There was no vapor barrier on the outside wall, And I want to add back in Insulation and a Vapor Barrier.

My Studs are 2x4 and I want to know what the type of insulation I should add back in.

Also, Where can I purchase a 6mil poly Vapor barrier, acoustical sealant and tuct tape. Can I use Ty vex Tape to tape the barrier to the studs?

This is my first time I am working with an outside wall, so any tips are much appreciated.

Thanks
jg

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-10, 09:07 PM
Hi jg,
If you are down to the studs on an exterior wall in cold country, you may want to consider insulation, plus a layer of rigid foam, to bring your total insulation value up as much as possible. If the space is just not available, mineral wool is listed as being very dense and resistant to mold and mildew. A last resort is fiberglass. It comes in a high density with a slightly better r-value over the normal density.

IMO, 4 mil poly is fine as long as the next layer is sheetrock or another rigid material. Properly installed, your shower should not be leaking moisture to any place to cause a problem. Avoid any plumbing on that outside wall and do a good job of insulation the ceiling above and the floor below.

Bud

Search this Thread